The guild meets regularly twice a month, during the regular guild/academic year September-June. Guests are aways welcome, this is a good way to get to know us and decide if you'd like to join.
The Thursday meetings usually feature a speaker, and are held on the second Thursday of the month, 9:30 - 12:30am, at the United Methodist Church, 1515 Fredericks St., San Luis Obispo, in the Terrace Room. Refreshments are provided; bring your latest "Show & Tell", and a few items for the monthly raffle.
We also meet, usually the last Saturday of the month, 10:00 -2:00, in member’s homes. These meetings usually involve some sort of hands-on project. Bring something for “Show & Tell” and a potluck lunch.
Occasional workshops may or may not coincide with regular guild meetings, but are usually held on weekends.
Special Interest Groups
The guild has many activities as a whole, of course. But many of us also form sub-groups to address special interests. These may meet more or less regularly, and vary between a couple members and nearly the whole guild. Contact the group leader(s) for inclusion in the sub-mailing lists and meeting notifications.
Study groups convene over a regular year, from January to December. The topic is chosen by consensus and changes every year. Meetings are held in member’s homes from 10:00 – 12:00; usually on the third Thursday of the month. Contact Jeannie Taylor for specifics.
Previous years have studied:
2015-16: rugs and rug weaves
The Spinners meet every Tuesday morning from 9:30 - 12:30, at the Strawbale Barn Weaving Studio, Atascadero. Call Rosemary or Kay Thorne for directions, 805- 438-5501. Anyone wishing to learn to spin may join the group for informal instruction.
A $1.00 per visit donation is requested to help defray the cost of firewood, utilities and hot drinks.
Tapestry Weavers meet 3 or 4 times each year on Saturdays to share ideas, encouragement, techniques and strategies for this design-focused , weft-face, plain weave format. Please contact Cindy Gaulin for further information.
Guild members also participate in a number of yearly events.
- In mid-April, many members go to the CNCH conference. In 2016, we were one of its major organizers in Modesto.
- In early June, we have a large annual picnic, with presentation of the results of the yearly challenge, a show of items from the various interest groups, and reports from guild activities.
- In late July, we participate in the County Fair in Paso Robles. We usually have a booth to show various aspects of textile production. We also spend a Friday or two doing live demonstrations at the Fair, so that we can talk to the public more directly.
- Later in July, some members go to the national Convergence conference.
- Labor Day weekend is when the Monterey County Fair holds its fleece auction.
- In early November, we hold our huge annual sale.
- The following week, we have a weekend retreat up the coast so we can all recuperate.
- And naturally we have a holiday party in December, with a small-present game.