The guild meets regularly twice a month, during the regular guild/academic year September-June. Guests are aways welcome, this is a good way to get to know us and decide if you’d like to join.
The Thursday meetings usually feature a speaker, and are held on the second Thursday of the month, 9:30 – 12:30am, at the United Methodist Church, 1515 Fredericks St., San Luis Obispo, in the Terrace Room. Refreshments are provided; bring your latest “Show & Tell”, and a few items for the monthly raffle.
We also meet, usually the last Saturday of the month, 10:00 -2:00, in member’s homes. These meetings usually involve some sort of hands-on project. Bring something for “Show & Tell” and a potluck lunch.
Occasional workshops may or may not coincide with regular guild meetings, but are usually held on weekends.
Special Interest Groups
The guild has many activities as a whole, of course. But many of us also form sub-groups to address special interests. These may meet more or less regularly, and vary between a couple members and nearly the whole guild. Contact the group leader(s) for inclusion in the sub-mailing lists and meeting notifications.
The Study Group meets on calendar year basis, from January to December. The topic is chosen by consensus and changes every year. Meetings are held in member’s homes from 10:00 – 12:00; usually on the third Thursday of the month. Contact Central Coast Weavers for specifics. The study topic for 2020 is “Fabrics that Go Bump” and includes a variety of weaves and techniques.
- 2015: Lace Weaves
- 2016: Rug Weaves
- 2017: Mastering Weave Structures
- 2018: Weft Face Weaves
- 2019: Profile Drafting and Block Weaves
The Spinners meet every Tuesday morning from 9:30 – 12:30, at the Strawbale Barn Weaving Studio, Atascadero. Call Rosemary or Kay Thorne for directions, 805- 438-5501. Anyone wishing to learn to spin may join the group for informal instruction.
A $1.00 per visit donation is requested to help defray the cost of firewood, utilities and hot drinks.
The Tapestry Group meets 3 or 4 times each year on Saturdays to share ideas, encouragement, techniques and strategies for this design-focused, weft-face, plain weave format. Please contact Cindy Gaulin for more information. email@example.com
Many weavers produce lovely lengths of clothes, but feel a bit lost when it comes to transforming it into clothes. If you are interested in improving your sewing skills and creating garments from your hand woven fabrics, this is the group for you. Topic are pretty self-contained and vary with each session. Contact Patricia Martin for information on meeting dates and locations.
The Rigid Heddle Group meets the second Tuesday of each month from 1:00-3:00 at the Strawbale Barn. This group weaves with many different types of smaller-sized looms. Please contact Diane Reynolds for more information. Dianeleigh@sbcglobal.net
Guild members also participate in a number of yearly events.
- In early November, Central Coast Weavers hosts its annual Weaving Show and Sale.
- In mid November, there is a weekend retreat, typically held at Camp Ocean Pines in Cambria.
- The December Guild meeting is a usually a holiday party, with a potluck, a craft project and a small-present game.
- In June, the All Guild meeting is on a Saturday, with a potluck picnic, a presentation of the annual weaving challenge, and a sale.
- In late July, the guild participates in the San Luis Obispo County Fair in Paso Robles. There is usually a booth to show various aspects of textile production. We doing live demonstrations at the Fair, so that we can talk to the public more directly.